Saturday, January 7, 2012

I am like that...nothing I can do about it


We all have our little issues – things we ascribe as our ‘problem areas’ or ‘challenges’. It could be a ‘bad habit’ or some difficulties like lack of concentration, procrastination, overweight or any other.
It is good to identify those 'problems', and maybe even get some help, some more information or even find other people with the same issue. It is good to talk about it and clearly state what the problem is.
However, it is challenging when the problem becomes so much part of oneself that it converts into a personality trait. If you convince yourself that the issue is part of your DNA – of who you are – you will not be able or willing to change anything ever. You have then accepted it as part of you.
Don’t get me wrong. I know there are things that one might not be able to change – let’s say something like an illness or disease. However, if one personifies the illness or any other thing in life, it will become impossible to change. If you believe it is an integral part of who you are, then it will be impossible to change. Let me give you an example.  If you say ‘I’m overweight. I have always been like that and my whole family is like that.’ It is very likely that you won't do something about it. 

In short, acknowledge your problems, own them but do not ‘become’ them.

No comments:

Post a Comment